Thursday, September 6, 2012

Finding Your Beat

Recently we hosted a drum circle at Odinstone Labyrinth for the Full Blue Moon of August 2012. The morning of the event a yoga guru who taught me a lot about going with the flow of life passed into a new life of his own. As I was saddened by the loss, it brought up emotions of others that I have lost both physically and emotionally over this past year. As I waited for the full moon to rise her shiny cheeks up over the tree tops I struggled with finding my beat, it seemed like every knock on my drum was completely off of everyone else. Considering my friend and guru had first introduced me to drumming and I knew he would be drumming somewhere on this particular full moon, I asked to do a set in his honour. The emcee let me say a few words about my dear friend and then he asked me to set the beat for the circle...

Oh my, I have no beat, I've been battling this in my head for the last hour... what do I do?

You feel it...

Just as I would have been instructed by the guru himself, I found a few terrible notes and then found that beat. As that beat led me, I let my mind wonder, and it was apparent that this is a metaphor of life. When you're not sure where to go, what to do, or what note to hit... just go with your instincts-the beat will come. You may misstep once in a 'blue moon' but the beat will come granted you let it. You are your own obstacle. You are that rock in the steam that your prana will flow past if you flow with grace.


No comments: