Monday, July 1, 2013

The Hermitage

What is the hermitage? Firstly it's a beautiful hike just outside of Hamilton, Ontario in a town called Ancaster. There are waterfalls and I even saw a lone deer bedded down in the leave, who eventually followed our hike for a solid 5 minutes. 
After an hour hike or so you come to the old ruins originally built in 1830 as a church by a Rev. Sheed.

This place intrigues me...tales around town talk of the place being haunted, you can see from the picture that there is some crazy energy there. So I took my feelings when I saw it, did some research and found out a little bit of information that explains why it's so intriguing to me. 
Magdalene. 
Yep. It started with her.
This time a Magdalene from Greece. A few conflicting stories, but either she was refused to marry the family coachman or her niece was refused his hand. Either way the coachman took his own life and since then, mid 1800s, the eerie tales have continue.

After the coachmans death, the structure was sold, and torn down. A new home was built and there were two fires, one of which did no harm, the second of which took most of the home down. The new owner, Alma Leith refused to leave and lived in a tent inside the rubble with her scraggly dog until her death.

Interesting how this site connects with you in one way or another... Check out the picture, you can see the gray that outlines the building. Haven't touched this picture with anything, I didnt even notice the outline until I pulled it up on the computer. Creepy.




No comments: